Saturday, April 12, 2008

An overview of the structures of the English Language - with Beatriz Ribeiro Ferreira Pucci (UNIUBE Uberaba - MG)



My friend and colleague Bia Pucci, the lecturer

Unfortunately, due to teaching at the time, I couldn't attend the workshop "Beyond the Limits of the English Class", with Maiza Fatureto (English Language Teaching Consultant for Cambridge University Press). Maiza and I were workmates in 1999. It was my first experience as an English teacher in her school, Point One English Center. This was one of the most important moments in my life, once during this time I decided to stop studying Law at Uniube and take an entry test at UFU to study Letters (Languages and Literature). To be honest, I've never seen myself as a lawyer.

On 4th April, 2008, on a Friday, at 2.00 pm, it was presented the lecture "An overview of the structures of the English Language", by Beatriz Ribeiro Ferreira Pucci (UNIUBE Uberaba - MG), who is a colleague and great friend I have, by the way. She used many communicative activities with us. We were asked to produce something based on structures of the English language.

Before presenting my activity, I have to say that I've always taken advantage of workshops and lectures to improve my career as a teacher. There are those great people we have the great chance to know in our lives that take part in our identity as a teacher. When I started studying at UFU, I got the great chance to know Rita de Cássia Lopes Capobianco. At her school, Yes! Idiomas, I had the great chance to work and learn many things. We had outstanding seminars presented by teachers. That was really amazing - there was a week before the beginning of classes we got together to present seminars.


Well, I suppose I'm here to post my production. I guess my blog is being turned into something very personal. Anyway, maybe a blog is supposed to be like this.


I'm posting an acitivy I used with my basic students in 2007. I guess I wasn't very well succeded, so I'm posting I comment in the end. I'm always afraid of using songs. First of all, because my taste is usually completely different from my students. Secondly, I think I need to give a song that has to do with what we are learning. Anyway, thank God I have those who help me choosing the songs - my younger brother, my students, my colleagues...


The song I'm posting below was an idea from a very tallented friend of mine, who I have the change to know during my graduation. We worked together in Teaching Practice. Her name is Giselle Fernandes Loures. Great teacher...


"She's Not Just A Pretty Face"

Shania Twain


(Oh na, na, na)

She hosts a T.V. show--she rides the rodeo

She plays the bass in a band

She's an astronaut--a valet at the parking lot

A farmer working the land

She is a champion--she gets the gold

She's a ballerina--the star of the show


[Chorus:]

She's--not--just a pretty face

She's--got--everything it takes

She has a fashion line--a journalist for "Time"

Coaches a football teamShe's a geologist--a romance novelist

She is a mother of three

She is a soldier--she is a wife

She is a surgeon--she'll save your life


[Chorus:]

She's--not--just a pretty face

She's--got--everything it takes

She's--mother--of the human race

She's--not--just a pretty face


Oh, oh, yeahOh na, na, na, na.....

She is your waitress--she is your judge--she is your teacher

She is every woman in the world


Oh, la, la, la

She flies an airplane--she drives a subway train

At night she pumps gasoline

She's on the council--she's on the board

She's a politician--she praises the Lord


[Repeat Second Chorus]


No, she's (she's) not (not)--just a pretty face

She's (she's) got (got)--everything it takes

She's--not--just a pretty face

She's got everything it takes

She's not just a pretty face


In spite of the fact that this song is very good to be used to teach "jobs", I had a rough experience with a beginner group. They found it very difficult to complete the missing lyrics. So, I suggest you write several jobs on cards, including some not in the music. Maybe a good idea would be using the song in the "Women International day" or "Mother's day". Ask your students to complete the lyrics in group. I guess my problem was choosing too many different lexical items.

No comments:

Post a Comment