Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ETERNAL FLAME - an activity with song for elementary level

RAIN
SUN
FLAME
SLEEPING AND DREAMING
HAND, FINGERS and THUMB


EYES


Below, an activity available in New English File 1, one of the best ELT books in my opinion. Its teaching plans describes every single detail for classes. There are extra activities for every file you teach.
Background information: ETERNAL FLAME was a number 1 in the UK and the US in 1989 for the American all-girl groupThe Bangles. It was number 1 hit again for the British girl group Atomic Kitten in 2001.
Level: This activity is very good for elementary level. It involves verb to be and simple present.
Video clips for this activity (use the e-board to broadcast the video clips and to check the exercises):

Task: Before going to the song, teacher pre-teaches the vocabulary above using realia. Listen and underline the correct words:

ETERNAL FLAME
*
CHORUS 2
(1) Open / Close your eyes, give me your hand, darling
Do you feel my heart beating, do you (2) remember / understand?
Do you feel the same, (3) am I / are you only dreaming?
or is (4) this / that burning an eternal flame?
*
I believe it's meant (5) to be / not to be, darling
I watch you when (6) I am / you are sleeping, you belong with me
Do you feel the same, (7) am I / are you only dreaming
Or (8) is this / is that burning an eternal flame?
*
CHORUS 1
Say (9) my name / your name, sun shines through the rain
A whole life so lonely, and then you come and ease the pain
I (10) don't like / don't want to lose this feeling
*
CHORUS 1
*
CHORUS 2 (three times)
*
SOURCE:
OXENDEN, Clive; LATHAM-KOENIG, Christina; SELIGSON, Paul et al. NEW ENGLISH FILE. Elementary teacher's book. Oxford University Press, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment