Tuesday, November 4, 2008

COUNTDOWN TO FCE - Wordpower and Let's reflect (pages 144 and 145)

- eyelid
- graveyard

- grave


- coffin



PHRASAL VERBS (PAGE 144)

- call (in) on sb (VISIT): phrasal verb to visit someone for a short time: I thought we might call in on your mother on our way - I've got some magazines for her.

- carry (sth) on (CONTINUE): phrasal verb [M] to continue doing something, or to cause something to continue: Let's carry on this discussion at some other time. Carry on the good work! Sorry to interrupt, do carry on (with what you were saying). You just have to carry on as if nothing's happened. [+ ing form of verb] Steve just carried on playing on his computer. Daphne is carrying on the family tradition by becoming a lawyer.

- count on sb (DEPEND) : phrasal verb to be confident that you can depend on someone: You can always count on Michael in a crisis. [+ to infinitive] I can count on my parents to help me.

- hang on (WAIT): phrasal verb INFORMAL to wait for a short time: Sally's on the other phone - would you like to hang on? Do you need the toilet right now or can you hang on for a while?Hang on a minute - I'll be with you in a moment!

- hold on (WAIT) phrasal verb INFORMAL to wait for a short time: Hold on, I'll check in my diary.

- keep on doing sth (CONTINUE): phrasal verb to continue to do something, or to do something again and again: She kept on asking me questions the whole time.

- look on: phrasal verb SLIGHTLY FORMAL to watch something happen but not become involved in it: A large crowd looked on as the band played.

- look on/upon sb as sth: phrasal verb to consider or think of someone or something as something: We looked on her as a daughter. I've lived there so long I look on the town as my home.
- put sth on (COVER BODY) phrasal verb [M] to cover part of the body with clothes, shoes, make-up or something similar: Put your shoes on - we're going out. He put on his jacket. She puts face cream on every night.

- take sth on (ACCEPT): phrasal verb [M] to accept a particular job or responsibility: She took too much on and made herself ill.

- try sth on: phrasal verb [M] to put on a piece of clothing to discover if it fits you or if you like it: Try on the shoes to see if they fit. What a lovely dress - why don't you try it on for size (= to discover whether it fits)?

- write sb out of sth: phrasal verb to change the story of a regular television or radio programme so that a particular character is not in it any more


***

EXTRA VOCABULARY FOR UNIT 14

- coffin: noun [C] (US ALSO casket) a long box in which a dead person is buried or burnt.

- fetch (GET): verb [T] to go to another place to get something or someone and bring them back:[+ two objects] Could you fetch me my glasses/fetch my glasses for me from the other room, please? I have to fetch my mother from the station.

- grave (DEATH): noun [C] a place in the ground where a dead person is buried: a mass grave an unmarked grave a grave digger He visits his mother's grave every Sunday.

- greed: noun [U] a very strong wish to continually get more of something, especially food or money: I don't know why I'm eating more - it's not hunger, it's just greed! He was unsympathetic with many house sellers, complaining that they were motivated by greed.

- haste: noun [U] DISAPPROVING (too much) speed: Unfortunately the report was prepared in haste and contained several inaccuracies. [+ to infinitive] In her haste to get up from the table, she knocked over a cup. His father had just died and he didn't want to marry with indecent haste.

- lid: noun [C]1 a cover on a container, which can be lifted up or removed: Can you get the lid off this jar? Put a lid on the saucepan. 2 an eyelid (= either of the two pieces of skin which can close over each eye): She looked at him from under half-closed lids.

No comments:

Post a Comment