Monday, June 1, 2009

ENGLISH FILE 7B - MURDER MYSTERIES

train carriages
- as if/though: used to describe how a situation seems to be: She looked as if she'd had some bad news. I felt as though I'd been lying in the sun for hours. They stared at me as if I was crazy.

- carriage: noun [C]1 a vehicle with four wheels, which is usually pulled by horses and was used especially in the past: a horse-drawn carriage 2 UK any of the separate parts of a train in which the passengers sit: a railway carriage

- come up (HAPPEN): phrasal verb - 1 to happen, usually unexpectedly

- engrossing: adjective - very interesting and needing all your attention

- leap (MOVEMENT): verb [I + adverb or preposition] leapt or leaped, leapt or leaped to make a large jump or sudden movement, usually from one place to another

- look up to sb: phrasal verb - to admire and respect someone

- nod: verb [I or T] -dd- to move your head down and then up, sometimes repeatedly, especially to show agreement, approval or greeting or to show something by doing this

- rub: verb [I or T] -bb- to press or be pressed against something with a circular or up and down repeated movement

- sharply: suddenly

- volition: noun [U] FORMALthe power to make your own decisions

No comments:

Post a Comment