Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Are you Ameri-can or Ameri-can’t?

Today is Election Day. I have never been more excited to vote. There have been things I’ve been more excited to vote about but this day I felt honored to flip through the catalogue of crap and gemstones, lucky to have the freedom to make my choices: which piles are crap, and which piles are gemstones. There are always both.

I left work with all of my proposition decided upon, having spent my lunch on the beach picking my kings and queens of government. I love my job. Aside from eating my soup in the sand and my interesting responsibilities I am encouraged, even financially, to learn. It is the reason I work there. When I graduated I had no idea what jobs even existed much less that I would never have the opportunity to get bored because I am constantly learning new things, experience is the fastest way to education. (Yes, I am in very good mood. It was mid-80s on the coast today; I am a very happy girl).

Anyhow, as I left my job that I thoroughly appreciate I came across a fine sequence of music on the radio: Disturbed – ‘Stupify’ followed by Metallica – ‘Master of Puppets’ and what a line up for an election day. I’m not saying the general American population is “stupified” nor do politicians “chop [their] breakfast on a mirror”, I’m not even going to go into “pulling the strings”. What I’m getting at with the fine line up is that Americans make beautiful music. I take it back, Americans make the best music. We all have our favorites.

So as I walked my dog Cash (who is named after America’s finest icon: the man in black not the man in green) barefoot down the street to my residence garage poll in my small town feeling community I felt very proud to be American. As hard as it is to write an unbiased request to go out and practice your freedom to vote (you still have time) it’s even harder to think of a reason why not to. We all have things we love about America. It’s not only about our opinions on the wars, markets, laws… It’s about the things we enjoy, the jobs that are worth more than the money it takes to pay the bills and the songs that are worth more than any years of oppression that were bulldozed through to obtain the freedom to write them.

OK…so go vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment