Friday, November 19, 2010

A pickle in time

I love pickles. The current Vlasic I’ve been sinking my teeth into is concerning time:

A historically four dimensional element that has be traveling at an ever increasing rate for as long as I can remember. Most of the theories explaining this well known phenomenon are based on perception and the ratio of a time span relative to the total length of time an observer has witnessed. Super fascinating, but my pickle is this:

I enjoy life so much that I want to do as many things as I possibly can to experience it fully before my time runs out.
And…
The more things I pile on my plate; the busier I am; the more fun I have; the faster time flies by; the quicker my time runs out…or so it seems. It’s all relative right, so what does it even matter?

It matters to me because everything is made of matter and I think it has everything to do with balance: in life, in body, in time.

This is a fine line that I haven’t quite figured out how to rest upon.


                          The brilliance of LOST has.

When I watch TV with my eyes, it is a perfect opportunity to fold clothes with my hands and scratch my dog’s belly with my feet. When I drive to work, it is a perfect time to listen to my French and decide what to make for dinner. Before I know it I forget what episode of ‘Cheers’ I'm on and drive right past my exit.

So I have designed an experiment for the weekend:

Objective: To document my personal perception of time to use as a control for further time manipulation studies.

Methods and Materials: Stop watch. Some sort of statistical analysis software.

Step 1: I will do as little as I can in 1 hours time. Record what I did, how well it was done, and how fast each bracket of time ‘felt’ to be passing according to my personally biased scale.

Step 2: I will do as many ‘unidentified flying projects’ as I can in 1 hours time. Record the same as above.

Step 3: Continue with a moderate amount of productivity.

Step 4: Possibly repeat in randomized order. Analyze results and post findings.

What I hope to discover is my own personal scale of time balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment