Monday, August 17, 2009

COUNTDOWN TO FCE - SPEAKING AND LISTENING (pages 90 and 91)

- a cheetah
- a sprinter

- a life jacket






- an aqualung

- flippers



- a snorkel



- wetsuits



- an underwater camera mask


- Watersports: Waterskiing, banana boats, tubes/ringos, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, parasailing and more...


- a leather watch strap







How do humans use animals either to help you live, earn living or make your lives more enjoyable?



What do you think about killing animals in order to use their skin or as the subject of medical and scientific experiments?



What do you think of using large animals such as horses oxen and sometimes strong dogs as a form of transport?



What would you be likely to see or find if you go scuba diving?



What risks do you associate with scuba diving?



Would you like to go suba diving? Why (not)?


- hectic: adjective - full of activity; very busy and fast: a hectic schedule The area has become a haven for people tired of the hectic pace of city life.
- stiff (VERY MUCH): adverb - very much, or to a great degree:I got frozen stiff (= very cold) waiting at the bus stop.I was scared stiff when I heard someone moving around upstairs.
- burst Show phoneticsverb burst, burst 1 [I or T] to break open or apart suddenly, or to make something do this:Balloons make me nervous - I hate it when they burst.The river was threatening to burst its banks.Suddenly the door burst open (= opened suddenly and forcefully) and police officers carrying guns rushed in.FIGURATIVE HUMOROUS If I eat any more cake I'll burst (= I cannot eat anything else)! 2 [I] to feel a strong emotion, or strong desire to do something:I knew they were bursting with curiosity but I said nothing. [+ to infinitive] INFORMAL I'm bursting to go to the loo! Tom was bursting to tell everyone the news.
- take the plunge: to make a decision to do something, especially after thinking about it for a long time: They're finally taking the plunge and getting married.
- vegan: noun [C] a person who does not eat or use any animal products, such as meat, fish, eggs, cheese or leather:Vegans get all the protein they need from nuts, seeds, beans and cereals.

No comments:

Post a Comment