Wednesday, August 26, 2009

COUNTDOWN TO FCE - Writing, Word Power and Let's Reflect! (pages 92 to 95)



- a dodo


- burst: verb burst, burst 1 [I or T] to break open or apart suddenly, or to make something do this: Balloons make me nervous - I hate it when they burst. The river was threatening to burst its banks.S uddenly the door burst open (= opened suddenly and forcefully) and police officers carrying guns rushed in. FIGURATIVE HUMOROUS If I eat any more cake I'll burst (= I cannot eat anything else)! 2 [I] to feel a strong emotion, or strong desire to do something: I knew they were bursting with curiosity but I said nothing. [+ to infinitive] INFORMAL I'm bursting to go to the loo! Tom was bursting to tell everyone the news.
- clutch (HOLD): verb [I or T] to take or try to take hold of something tightly, usually in fear, anxiety or pain: Silent and pale, she clutched (onto) her mother's hand. Clutching the money to his chest, he hurried to the bank. He collapsed, clutching his stomach.
- encounter (EXPERIENCE): verb [T] to experience, especially something unpleasant: When did you first encounter these difficulties? The army is reported to be encountering considerable resistance. noun [C]1 a meeting, especially one that happens by chance: I had a rather alarming encounter with a wild pig. This meeting will be the first encounter between the party leaders since the election. 2 an occasion when people have sex, usually with someone they have not met before3 an occasion when two teams play against each other: In their last encounter with Italy, England won 3-2.
- hover: verb 1 [I usually + adverb or preposition] to stay in one place in the air, usually by moving the wings quickly: A hawk hovered in the sky, waiting to swoop down on its prey. I heard the noise of a helicopter hovering overhead. 2 [I usually + adverb or preposition] to stand somewhere, especially near another person, eagerly or nervously waiting for their attention: A waiter hovered at the table, ready to take our order. I could sense him behind me, hovering and building up the courage to ask me a question. 3 [I + adverb or preposition] to stay at or near a particular level:Inflation is hovering at 3%.
- nearby: adverb, adjectivenot far away:If there's a cafe nearby, we could stop for a snack. I noticed a policeman standing nearby. We stopped at some nearby shops to buy some food.

No comments:

Post a Comment